The human skull has 8 hollow cavities called the sinuses that are placed in between eyes, the forehead, cheekbones, and behind nasal cavity. In sinusitis, the tissues that are surrounding the sinuses get swollen and inflamed. When there is a fluid blockage in these tissues, then the situation can get complicated because of bacterial infection. This results in flu-like symptoms and the patient complains of a headache, runny nose and general discomfort.
Reason for sinusitis:
Sinusitis may be caused by drainage duct blockage, nasal mucosa inflammation, structural abnormalities, immune deficiencies, or nasal polyps. This condition may get triggered by allergens, smoking, pacifiers, and spread of infection from one person to another. Any individual who falls between 18-45 years can get sinusitis.
Treatments for sinusitis:
Normally nasal sprays and decongestants are advised to treat this condition, but, is there another way out?
Sinus treatment: The patient may have to undergo nasal endoscope to see if there is any structural abnormality or nasal polyps that can lead to blocking of the sinus.
Chiropractic treatment: It’s a must to seek treatment or sinusitis may lead to severe pain or even cause dangerous conditions like meningitis. The symptoms can be reduced with the help of chiropractic sinus adjustment also.
- Choose chiropractor with care. Trained and qualified chiropractors with appropriate hours of undergraduate training can treat sinusitis.
- Be prepared for more than one visit for sinus treatment.
- Note frequency and mode of recommended treatments for chiropractic care.
- Chiropractor will gather medical history and carry out physical examination along with x-rays, to note targeted areas.
- Hands are used to apply force and pressure to the affected areas and then popping sounds may escape. This cracking sound means that air is being released from the mucus membranes and bones that are surrounding the sinus cavities. Extremely shooting pain needs to be attended to by the chiropractor immediately, so be fully aware of changes taking place during treatment.
- Any kind of joint misalignment is adjusted by the chiropractor. The joints may have shifted away from their normal limitations and may cause sinus blockage.
- Gentle thrusts and pressures can prompt the nervous system to get stimulated. The spinal column has nerves that are connected to the sinus region and when these are manipulated the condition starts to improve. Light force cranial manipulation, Trigger point therapy, and physical rehabilitation may be advised to cure this problem.
- Chiropractic treatment is started if the person is free from other medical complications like dislocations, fractures, cancer or arthritis.
- Nasal specific technique is also used with chiropractic manipulative therapy for better benefit. Small balloons may be put into nasal cavity and air will be blown into them to expand the openings of the sinus. The excess fluid, pus and mucus will come out.
A detailed medical history needs to be handed over to the chiropractor so that he or she can assess the status of the patient. Permanent damage and injury is not the motto of the chiropractor, treatment is!